So you’ve just turned 16 years old, or you have reached that point in your life where you say, “You know what, it’s time I get that car (or at least the ability to drive one!)”; and this statement is true, because you never know when a situation may come up that you need to save a life! Yes, that could actually happen 😉

Well, below is a short coverage of the requirements to getting that very important piece of plastic that says, I am legally allowed to drive Ontario’s roads (well…not just Ontario, but we’re in Ontario). So let’s continue on to see how we can drive that sweet new car home.

Taken from the Official Ministry of Transportation (MTO) Driver’s Handbook, if you live in Ontario, you must be at least 16 years old and have a valid Ontario driver’s licence to drive. So yes, moms, dads or anyone that is feeling to get that fresh 16-year-old a car as a birthday present, no fears, you can go ahead 🙂

No worries here, visitors to Ontario that would like to drive themselves around are accommodated…

What if I’m a Visitor?

No worries here, visitors to Ontario that would like to drive themselves around are accommodated likewise. Just as with regular citizens, you need be at least 16 years old and own a valid driver’s license from your province, state or country. If you plan to stay for longer than three (3) months, you will need to get an International Driver’s Permit from your home country. Finally, if you’re about to make the big leap, to move from your country to live in Ontario, then contact us today and we will help you acquire an Ontario driver’s license to quickly get you back on the road.

Don’t worry though, you are still legal to drive for up to 60days after you have moved to Ontario, provided you have the International Driver’s Permit. Feel free to likewise contact us if you are moving from a different Canadian province or territory (including the Canadian Forces Europe), Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, the Isle of Man, Japan, Northern Ireland, Korea, Switzerland and the United States; Ontario has a license exchange agreement with the aforementioned countries.

  • hamiltonds

Leave A Comment